The twinsaw system with a horizontal and vertical blade is a very efficient way to cut timber.
- Both blades cut on the way down the log and return a finished board with every pass. Accuracy is excellent with the circular blades and sharpening is quick and easy with the sharpener supplied with each sawmill.
- Blade maintenance is minimal when you can sharpen your blades on the mill. Weld on tipped blades are sent away for retipping but with inserted tooth blades you can replace the tooth yourself. Blade maintenance costs are minimal.
- The accuracy of the circular blades on the Mahoe twin saw is the best. The rigid mounting, the centrifugal force, and torque to the blades will cut through knots, hardwood and wandering grain.
- Everytime you cut a board with the twinsaw, it is a finished board. There is no rehandling, no edgers just a finished board ready to stack or sell.
The safety features are built into the Mahoe sawmills. Both the horizontal and vertical blades have riving knives so you are not working near the blades. The built in timber return eliminates the hard work of removing the cut boards from the mill. All sawmills are lever operated to reduce the physical work associated with high production.
Operating a Mahoe sawmill is not like running a marathon, you can production cut timber all day, every day with the machine doing the hard work.You get maximum production with minimum effort.
Below you can see a series of photos demonstrating a Mahoe Supermill cutting out a log from the top to the bottom. See the different cutting options available using the hydraulic rise and fall and the Cut to Taper to maximize the quality of boards retrieved from your logs.
Cut to Taper
Use the Cut to Taper facility to line the mill up to the straight grain of the log and cut good quality, full length boards. When you get to the second grade core wood or pruning knots in the centre of the log you can use the Cut to Taper facility to cut a tapered board. This will bring you parallel to the good wood on the second side of the log to continue cutting good quality full length boards.
- When placing a log into position it is faster and more accurate to line the mill up to the log using the Cut to Taper facility rather than trying to move the log.
- You are cutting a better quality board when the grain runs true to the board with no cross grain.
- You reduce docking and make stacking easier with no short boards.
- You can use the Cut to Taper to chase clear wood from ugly logs.
The Mahoe Supermill cuts a 12” x 8” or 300mm x 200mm with ease and returns it to the operator. The sawmill does the hard work making cutting big sizes effortless.
If you are wanting to production cut and run the flitches through a bandsaw resaw or cut sleepers all day, the Mahoe Supermill is for you.
Squaring small logs is easy with a Mahoe sawmill. The Log Dogs hold the logs securely while you take the top off the log, then use the vertical blade to take off the first side, with the third cut you can finish your square.
The sharpener is attached to the sawmill, you gently swipe the teeth, accurately sharpening each tooth on the same angle to give the smoothest possible finish.
Packaging & Transportation
Sawmills for the New Zealand domestic market are transported on their trailers or on the truck. Sawmills to be exported are packaged in wooden crates and trucked to the Port of Auckland ready to be containerised and shipped.